Here are our top gay and Vancouver news picks from December 4th to 11th.
West End News
- Women-only section of downtown Vancouver gym to be phased out: Member livid that her Steve Nash club is going entirely coed, Vancouver’s nearby West End has a large gay population that was consistently fielding complaints about having a space dedicated to only one gender.
- Dine Out Vancouver 2014: how to choose the best restaurants and menus: For anyone who’s been wintering in Mexico for the past 11 years, Dine Out Vancouver takes place annually in January. Restaurants offer three-course dinner menus at one or more of three price points: $18, $28, and $38.
Gay Vancouver News
- Vancouver men featured in Kevin Truong's Gay Men Project: "As a kid, I remember being excited any time I saw an Asian person on TV, in a movie, or in a music video," he said. "I also remember what it was like to not see it. A part of that has always stuck with me, and as an adult, as I look around at representations of gay men and women in media, I don't see a lot of reflections of myself. I know the Gay Men Project is only a blog, but I do hope by showing men over the age of 50, men of varying body shapes, men of color—I hope it's providing something for someone..."
- Our (gay) guide to Club PuSh 2014: Gender identity and drag queens are centre stage for Club PuSh, part of the tenth anniversary of the PuSh International Performing Arts Festival.
Gay World News
- The Rev. Robert Nugent, priest who ministered to gay Catholics, dies at 76: Robert Nugent, a Catholic priest who became nationally known for his pastoral work with gay men and lesbians, a ministry that was officially ended in 1999 when the Vatican declared it “erroneous and dangerous,” died Jan. 1 at a religious retirement community in Milwaukee. Rest in peace.
- Gay-Marriage Fight Takes a Toll on Utahns: The recent flurry of court rulings legalizing and then halting gay marriage in Utah has whipsawed residents of this predominantly Mormon city, a conservative enclave that saw its first-ever gay pride celebration only last summer.
- Russian Orthodox Church Pushes For Gay Ban Referendum: Russia's powerful Orthodox Church proposed Friday a referendum on banning gay relations in the face of Western pressure over human rights ahead of next month's Winter Olympics in Sochi.